Monday, May 21, 2007

The bright side

Night shift is certainly not getting easier, but on the bright side, it is not getting any harder! I'll take that!
I have been meeting some really great new people who I have really been enjoying working with and getting to know.
Every hospital has the "stereotypical" nurse. Without meaning to sound racist, sexist or anything else-ist, I simply must point out some of my observations.
In San Diego, it is a short, cute Philipino nurse who is in her 40's or 50's.
In Los Angeles, it is a short, tiny Philipino nurse in her 20's.
In Philadelphia, it is an average but beautiful Indian nurse.
In Texas (Dallas at least), it is a heavy, 40's to 50's slower white nurse.
In Sacramento it was a smaller Russian woman who is "older" although you could never guess her age.
In San Francisco, it was thin, brainy looking uptight nurses who were very PC.
In Hawaii, it was taller (and I use the term loosely, being nearly 6 foot) beautiful, funloving Hawaiians, who at all times had a flower tucked behind an ear. Really.
In Colorado, it is a taller, muscular burnette, who looks like they have never touched makeup in their life, but they are good looking without it.
Of course, these are very broad generalizations, but it is interesting to me. I was suprised to work with such a "white" group of girls.
I enjoy working with them all, and have learned so much from each place I have worked. I have gotten to try wonderful dishes brought in for an abundance of potlucks, and gotten to learn phrases, most of which I have forgotten, in other languages.
I have enjoyed traveling the states. Being a traveler has allowed me sneak-peaks at other cultures, not just of the city I am in, but far away countries too.
I have met Indians, Hawaiians, Samoans, Philipinos, Canadians (Yeah!) Ethiopians, Russians, Croatians, Chinese, Japanese, Australians, Brits, Germans, and who knows what else!
It is so interesting trying the different foods, hearing the different customs, even trying the different dances when there is time!
I never went into nursing thinking I would get a taste of so many parts of the world, but that has certainly been an added bonus!
I love hearing the stories, the beliefs, the traditions, and how holidays are celebrated. If nothing else, it makes my own beliefs stronger. It feels really good to help define your beliefs, and if I can help someone become stronger in thier own belief, so much the better!
On a completely different note, I am working on the north wing, which is the oncology ICU part of our 3 parts. A long time ago, when I was a baby nurse, I started out working in the ICU. There were times I loved it, and there were times I was so scared I didn't know what to do. Being back on this floor, even though I have very stable patients, who can walk and talk and everything that means they probably shouldn't be on this floor, I get so see and help with the patients who are here because they really should be. I remember things about the ICU that I loved.
I loved being able to give the patient the kind of bath they deserved, taking the time to wash between the toes, under the nails and the sort. I loved being able to comfort the family and explaining to them what I am doing and why, pointing out the colorful numbers on the screen and letting them in on which ones are what, and what we are looking for when we watch them.
I loved being able to ask a family member to help do something, even as simple as holding a hand so the patient does not pull out a tube while I turn them. Or asking them to help put the pillow back. It is so good to give them something, anything that can help ease that horrid feeling of helplessness.
I love that I got to know everything about my patient. That I got to be close to them and not constantly running out of the room. Everything was in the room. I got to stay with my patient.
Even if they couldn't talk, or maybe it was because they couldn't talk, it just squeezed my heart, and it made it so much easier to have complete compassion for them. It was like thier life was in my hands, and I really was nurturing them and helping them get better.
It is good to do what I do. I love what I do. That is probably one of life's greatest blessings.
(and for those of you who were wondering, my crocs are light blue today!)

3 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

I think it is so wonderful that you are given the proper amount of time needed to spend with your patients. That isn't necessarily an option up here. I sure do wonder how many people will greet you in heaven, telling you how much you meant to them during the last difficult days.
Compassion is a gift . .not only to the receiver but to the giver as well.

This is sort of on the same topic as a traveling nurse. Now when I watch the Today Show weather, I include an interest in Denver. Blogging buddies are so fun to have a window into their life, even if it is whether they need a sweater or not.

Now, I'm imagining you with light blue crocks and a matching uniform . .you look just lovely, it is so striking with you hair.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Hi Hon! ORANGE crocs are around here, EVERYONE is wearing orange. Bright, deep red orange, UT orange, just you wait when you see the pictures.
Back from Heidelberg, 6 hr train ride. You'd love it there.
LOVE YOU!
Mom

Julie said...

Next time I am sick and have to go to the hospital... could you please be my nurse??
You do your job 'as unto the Lord'.
How rare that is, but what a blessing for those who find themselves under your care!!
God bless you !!