Wednesday, June 13, 2007

This is me ranting!

My patients are absolutely frusterating me!!! I am just fuming!
The first had the nerve to call me "a snob", "rude," and even went so far as to ask if he could have another nurse take care of him! I wish he could! All this because I asked him what time he wanted to take a shower, when he refused, discussed with him why it actually is important, and asked him again what time he would like to do that. He called me a liar! "It doesn't make any difference." Ha!
When you have had a transplant, the only barrier you have against the world is your skin. I am not going to go into detail why you really do have to take a shower, but, trust me. It's not just cause we like a freshly cleaned patient. It really is a matter of life and death at this point! Why should I have to argue with a patient that they should try to get better? Why should I have to try to convince someone to do something that can literally save their life?
Once I calmed down, I went to see my other patient, who proceded to tell me all the narcotics she wants, what time she wants them, and when she wanted to be woken up. I hate to say this, but this is not a bloomin' hotel!
I try to be absolutely accomodating with my patients, trust me, I know the value of sleep! But to get upset at me when I then agreed to try not to wake her up and if she is sleeping I would not wake her up for her pills in the middle of the night, became very upset! "I don't know why I have to explain this to you nurses! Do I need to talk to the doctor about this? I know my body and if you don't wake me up for ativan, I will be throwing up all night!"
There is a reason there is the joke about waking people up for a sleeping pill!
Trying to explain that giving a very large dose of sleeping pills, with a chaser of ativan, with also her marinol, and clonazepam, well, most patients would never wake up. How dare I be a "safe and prudent nurse!"
I had discussed waiting a half an hour between the ambien, clonazepam and marinol to give the ativan, and well, I got a tongue lashing! I tried explaining the reason why I would like to wait. She had even agreed to it when I first suggested it, but after the explanation became not a happy camper.
Now, I am probably one of the most liberal pain/sleeping pill/antianxiety pill giving nurses I know, so when I hessitate, there is a damned good reason!
Ugh!!!! These are the kind of nights I want to tell my patients to leave so I can take care of people who are actually trying to get better. Not have a spa treatment and care of camping out in a hotel.
I could say a lot more mean things right now, but I am sure I would regret it. So I will stop right there. I kind of miss the days (not that I was even born back then) when patients did what the nurse said, and the majority of nursing was pillow fluffing.
Grrrr!!! Sorry you had to see that. I really am a good nurse, just trying to keep my patients alive. And people wonder why nurses get burnt out!

4 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Okay, having just very recently watched a nurse in action very gently inserting an IV, thank you . . .thank you for all that you do. What would we do without your care?
I've often found that when in the care of a health care professional, I hang on every word they say, almost wishing that they would impart a speck more wisdom in my situation. Keep going. You are a good nurse and if I wouldn't know better, I'd say it's good to be you. (you could be the ungrateful . ..)

Julie said...

The only thing stopping a good nurse is a bad patient!! Maybe tonight was a full moon??
I had to laugh at the lady who if you didn't wake her would be throwing up all night!! Oxymoron!
I'm sure today was a 'rare' day, most people are very appreciative of good nurses which I KNOW you are so don't take today tooo seriously.... The 'good' patients will remember you forever..and be grateful!
I thank you for doing a job that makes a difficult time in people's lives easier. It is amazing how a kind nurse can lift you up!
I had to learn to give myself injections a couple of weeks ago and the nurse that taught me was so kind and sweet I gave her a hug when I left and I think of her every time I inject.

L&D said...

Oh gosh I hear you on this one. I had to argue with my patient's family this past week to allow their DYING MOTHER WHO IS IN PAIN a little morphine. The son actually said to me, "She can suck it up. She's tough. She doesn't need anything for her pain." He didn't like it too much when I challenged him by asking if he would like to switch places with her and die in pain. GAH. Some people.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Oh sweetie...good thing your mama wasn't there. I'd sure like a crack at those patients. I'm just really glad that I know you have a stack of good patient memories to help you get through the bad ones.
Think of these folks as a plot device in a mystery novel. They have to be good for something.