Tuesday, March 13, 2007

That's nice

Sometimes, like today, I have the best patients. They are the ones I get to know. I get to know their family. Thier friends. It's nice. They know my name and I actually remember theirs! Since I am usually horrible with names, it is very nice that I can just look at my papers with their name on it, or their armband. It makes it easier to be able to cheat before I enter the room.
But some people you just remember. Like today. Some of my patients today I have taken care of many, many times before. My patient, who inspired this particular blog, got stuck being in a semi-private room with a puking roommate. Speaking from experience, I knew it was safe to say he would not have gotten much sleep last night, and knowing him, he likes to sleep in.
Days like this I love the autonomy of being able to flex my "nice nurse muscle" and let him sleep in. I didn't ignore him, and lucky for him, he did not have any morning meds due. So I let him sleep. It put a smile on my face to afford him those few extra hours. Not wanting him to think he was without a nurse, I wrote him a note to the effect of "I get to be your nurse today, and you looked so peaceful sleeping, I'm gonna let you keep right at it. You don't have any pills, and I will be checking in on you, but call if you need me. Your nurse, Laura"
He didn't wake up till about 11:30, and when I peeked in at 12, he was all smiles and so happy for the "beauty sleep" as he put it. And he loved the note. I think I may have mentioned the green Ireland shirt I was wearing today too.
Things like that make me feel really good. I guess every nurse became a nurse "to make a difference in a person's life," but I really enjoy when I can make being stuck in a tiny hospital room a little better. Days like this, little things like that, well, I love my job! It's good to be me.

1 comment:

L&D said...

This is respecting his personal choice and creating a practice that is individualized! Kudos to you. Nice to see a nurse doing this on the floor.