Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sometimes God is sneaky in His blessings. Today, going to work, I took a different route to work, and then stopped for just a few minutes to pick up some chips and salsa for the first of 3 going away parties for me. It just took a few minutes, and I was back on the freeway in no time.
Minutes into the drive, up ahead I noticed flashing lights, and as I approached I could more clearly see the 6 police cars, the firetruck, the 2 ambulances, the 12 or so firefightes/EMT's, and the upside down car. 2 other cars, which I assume were witnesses to the crash, were pulled over just beyond that, and the drivers were walking briskly to the scene.
I passed by, and then, knowing about how far away that particular firehouse is, knowing about how long it takes emergency response to show up, I realized that the crash could very well have been me. I would have been me. It could have been me.
Cancer is hard to work with, but at least these patients have time. They can say their goodbyes. It's like a snooze button on an alarm clock of expiration.
I don't think the driver of the upside down car was alive. Just a hunch.
It is good to be me. I was blessed in a profound way today. I didn't die.

2 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh Laura, that is such a blessing. Even though I don't know you personally (yet) . .or perhaps I should say (face to face). you being involved in a tragic accident or even one where you would incure injuries would be horrible.
I am so thankful you made it safely to work. That does remind me though, yesterday, when Terrence was on his way to work, he was traveling on the freeway and all of a sudden realized in the fast lane a car was coming towards him, being chased by 5 police cars,. . .it could have been him.
2 reasons to be thankful today.

Have fun at your parites.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

We are grateful! Life is so fragile and your insights have made us better people.
Enjoy your parties.