Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I did my "Nurse Duty" (or should I say doody?) today. One of my patients foley catheters didn't quite manage to get clipped back closed, so I got to do the backstroke through the lake of pee until I could get housekeeping in there. It only took me 3 blankets.
My other patient got his Golytely (for those of you who know, you know) and after a "I can't hold it anymore!" jumped up and ran around the bedside commode, yes, around it, to try to get to the actual bathroom, forgetting that he was hooked up to his IV pole. So I got to do the breaststroke across that little pond of doo-doo.
I have paid my dues for the day. Probably the week too. If not the month. I still love my job though. A lot. It amuses me to no end.
And for those who were wondering, I was wearing my crocs and luckily none of it got into the holes, and yes, I have cleaned them off since then with the wipes that will take your skin off if you don't wear gloves when cleaning with them. It is good to be me with clean shoes!

4 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

OK I've heard about these devices. It's funny how when there is a nurse in the family your medical vocabulary grows.

I've heard about being spuirted in the eye when the first device malfunctions. EWW.

Perhaps you should put a little saran wrap over the biggest holes, just in case.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Just remember to keep good notes for when you write your novel.

At least no ca-ca in the croc...that is good!

Julie said...

Oh, Laura, I love your attitude!!
And your sense of humour!
Without that you could not still love your job!

My youngest granddaughter is very easily 'grossed out'. She inherited the trait quite honestly from her materal grandfather.(that would be my husband)
She wanted to be a veterinarian...until she learned that sick animals throw up!! So now she has decided she would be much safer as a gemologist!

The world is a better place because of nurses like you! If your patients forgot to thank you today --- let me do it for them....
"Thank-you, Laura, for being such a caring understanding nurse - even when body systems malfunction!"

Lovella ♥ said...

Is that tree that you're leaning on in Maui? I have a picture of my kids leaning on a tree just like that. Wouldn't that be something. Perhaps that is why people etch naughtily in trees . .Laura was here.