Friday, February 29, 2008

Manners

As a Gen-X-er, I understand that manners have all but been lost, and are an ancient art. However, I still value them.
In conjunction with Lovellas and Jill's blog, here's my 2 cents.
Pretty much, write for yourself. Be proud of what you write. Make sure it's suitable for your boss, or your mother, to read it. These things last forever, and you certainly don't want anything written in virtual stone for all time. It's amazing how things do come back and bite you.
As a reader, it is always polite to acknowledge to the reader that, indeed, you did take the time to read their work. Even better, offer an opinion, formed in responce to the posting. It's like virtual gold, and a little goes a long way. A lot is even better! Obviously, if someone has taken the time to write a blog, they have something to say or share. Responding is validation and encouraging to a blogger.
As a writer, proper grammar and spelling is always appreciated. That spell check is there for a reason. (On a personal note, no, I don't ever use it. I always misspell the same words: their, responce, etc)
As a write, it is appreciate if you have clear in your mind the purpose of your blog. Is it purely to share pictures and experiences of your life and travels? Is it to be an instructional blog? Is it a stress relief and outlet for aggressions and frustrations? Is it just for everyday chat and for keeping in touch with your friends? Once you have a clear impression, it is easier to keep a better focus. A suggestion: have separate blogs for work/vacation/ kids/ pets, whatever.
Above all, thank yous and complements are always appreciated when commenting. For me personally, any "why it's good to be Me's" are just the best!
It's good to be me when my opinion is sought out. Unfortunately, I don't link to other's blogs, but I don't mind them linking to mine. Opinions are just that, opinions. And there is no such thing as a "wrong" opinion. Just be respectful and go back to the golden rule. treat others as you want to be treated.
Oh, and read the post below. I actually got 2 posts in on 1 day! It's good to be me!

9 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm so proud of you for posting twice in a day! I just finished reading your mom's post today and noticed that you had a new post. I do read a lot of blogs, but don't always manage to comment. That's a downside of subscribing to blogs through a blogreader (I use Bloglines).

Anyway, I do appreciate the important topic of blog-etiquette, and I wanted to come out of lurking to tell you so! Thank you!

Willow said...

I came from Lovella's blog to read your post about blog etiquette. Thanks for your ideas and opinions.

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh Laura, I so appreciate your views on this. I appreciate the comment about what you say should be okay with boss, family etc. I find that I really squirm when people don't consider that someone just may come upon thier blog that they don't expect.

It's good to be me. . . because my name was mentioned in your post. woo hoo.

Julie said...

Thank you, Laura for joining with the two 'older ladies' (smile) to open the discussion on blogging etiquette. I think etiquette is even more appreciated today because it is less seldom seen - than in the 'old days' !!

I did read your other post and thank you for sharing the day you met your 'knight in shining armor' !!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I've made the rounds between you, Lovella and Jill for your group post on blog etiquette...you've all made very good points and given a lot of thought to these things. I appreciate each of your takes on this. Thanks!

Islandsparrow said...

I'm also over from Lovella's and your mom's blogs.

This is a good discussion - I especially like your line "Responding is validation and encouraging to a blogger."

very true!! We do write to be read - if not - we'd be keeping a diary :)

PS - enjoyed your post on your date with the knights :)

ellen b. said...

I enjoyed reading all 3 posts on etiguette. I linked over from Lovella's...

Vee said...

Just peeking in to see what a young'un has to say about blogging. :> (I'm here from Lovella's.) I like what you said about not writing anything that you wouldn't want your mother to read, but it's too late for me! LOL!

Thanks for your insights!

Marg said...

Thanks for your input. I jumped over from Lovella's and appreciate all the effort's that you have chosen to discuss.
Looks like you like Hawaii. That's my second home plus my grown daughters.
My daughters, face book and they too have helped me understand the etiquette.
Sounds like you had a fun celebrating a 30th.